Pooley's Stress Busting Chart

Thursday, August 20, 2009 Leave a Comment

Okay, so to kick off proceedings with the chart section, and also to help me kill the stress caused by making arrangements to the content parties, I thought I'd hit you with a chart covering some of my favourite records. In no order of course, and definitely not my all time top ten – that’s an impossible task.

Also, vinyl is definitely the best format (but that's for another blog entry! Haha). So with that in mind I have provided you with the discogs link to each record.


DJ Rasoul - Soul Emotion (Panhandle)

Jonene's Panhandle lable threw up some right beauties, pretty much every release is a keeper and the artwork is amazing. I think it was graffiti artists Skribblz? This is a beauty and overlooked amongst the other Panhandle releases. It's all about waiting for that sax hit after the first break.

Abacus - The Relics EP (Prescription)

Abacus is the man. His stuff on Guidance is awesome, my favourite being "We cookin' now" on the Analog Trax EP. However, this record is an absoloute keeper. Probably overlooked in a sense that everyone focused on the brilliant Ron & Chez output on Prescription, yet this is just as good. Not as ravey as some of the Ron & Chez stuff but a slab of concentrated deep house all the same. Play with care as it should only really be broken out at about 5am in a dark room, when things are getting a little bit surreal. I usually rock up at home pissed and play this to myself.

Ron & Chez - Untitled KMS 049 (KMS)

Talking of Ron & Chez earlier reminded me of this. Don't really need to say anything else about this record other than...... "white girl, you aint dancin, uh huh, you aint dancin".

Basic Channel - Phyllyps Track II

Minimal before minimal existed? Before all these silly sub-genres? Probably. This track makes me cream my pants. Some of the subtle noises and sounds that come and go are amazing, it can only really be appreciated on a very loud system.

Daniel Wang - The look ma no drum machine EP

Mid-chart entry for this disco tinged stormer. Makes me want to take my shirt of and dance with the bears, and I don't mean the Yogi variety.

Beloved - The Sun Rising (Marks Deep House Mix)

Yes yes. Mark Pritchard from Global Communication took this quite average track and turned it into a pure belter. Fond memories of playing it in a flat I once lived in that had no blinds, just as the sun came up. "It's the sun riiiising"

Blacksheep - Stroblight Honey (David Morales Mix) (Mercury)

Not sure where I heard this track first, I think it was on Derrick Carter's old illusions mixtape, more recently on Kerri Chandlers essential mix. Anyway, at a first glance it looks shit? What's that? David Morales remixing a hip hop group? Nah mate. Yes indeed, it's an absolute dancer and as my copy is becoming worn I have limited myself to playing it on special occasions only.

Cajmere feat Dajae – Day by Day (Green Velvet Mix)

As far as I know this version was only released on the Many Shades of Cajual album pack. (Life changing mix by the way, buy it) . I just wish the pressing wasn’t as shit as it was and that they hadn’t cut the fuck out of the track to squeeze it onto the vinyl. Makes me dance my tits off.

Underground Resistance – Jupiter Jazz (UR)

As much as I love hi-tech jazz, and I really do, I chose to stick this one in as it’s maybe not had as much praise as hi-tech jazz. This track really is as forward thinking, crossing boundries and genres with every bar. I can’t believe this was made in 1992. Does anyone even make music this good these days?

51 Days – Paper Moon (Touche)

Mid 90's deep house at it's best. Paper Moon is a real builder, just keeps on going and going. Traktion on the flip side is one of those tracks that you don't even realise exists until you play the wrong side of the record by accident. A proper chugger. Class EP.

0 comments »

Leave your response!